Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage
|Name of property||Bali Ecovillage|
|Person completing this form||Miss Ronnie|
|Position||Volunteer Eco Consultant|
|Address of property||Lawak Village, Jalan Pelaga-Catur, Belok/sedan, Bali|
|Phone number including country code and area code||+6281999886035|
|Web site||Bali Eco Village|
|Type of property||Eco Resort|
|Number of rooms or cottages||8|
|Maximum number of guests||27|
|Eco ratings, certifications, awards|
- Do you have a written environmental or social sustainability policy? YES
If yes, please attach.
- Do you have a written environmental management system? YES
- If yes, please attach.
- Describe the property – aim, size, facilities, amount of land owned and leased (150 words max): Built on 2 hectares of land leased from Indonesians, Bali Ecovillage has unique buildings constructed out of bamboo. With a clean water source, large productive organic garden, farm animals and hydro power source it can be completely self sufficient.
- Describe the location, including distance to nearest town and size of town (100 words max) 2 hrs drive to the remote mountains of northern Bali from Denpasar (Bali’s Capital city)
- Describe WHY you made the decision to develop an eco resort (100 word max) Bali Ecovillage was designed and constructed by a passionate Italian who spent many years as a wilderness tour guide in Papua New Guinea and West Timor. He wanted to preserve the beauty and integrity of the landscape.
Introduction to the Butterfly Club’s Eco Rating
The Butterfly Club Eco Rating has five equally-weighted categories:
- Recycling and waste;
- Land and nature conservation; and
Each category has five levels, designated by one to five butterflies. Through self assessment, resort operators completing this rating will determine their own levels within each category based on their responses to items listed below.
Two categories – energy and water – have similar rating systems with Levels 1 and 2 addressing conservation of existing resources, and Levels 3, 4 and 5 addressing creation of renewable energy or capturing water.
Level five in every category also requires written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record consumption; (2) test and apply additional conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific targets. We require a copy of your policies if you achieve level 5 in any category.
Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage Energy
Levels 1 and 2 – conservation: Check all that apply:
YES use natural air circulation and fans, not air conditioners
YES use natural light during the day
YES minimize use of fossil-fuel powered vehicles, machines and equipment
YES use “on demand” or solar heating for hot water
YES air dry clothes/linens
YES wash dishes by hand
YES use energy efficient appliances and electronics
YES use low wattage fluorescent or LED light bulbs
YES change linens, tablecloths, napkins upon request
YES switch off lights when not used
Other energy conservation activities? Please list:
Level 1 = four or fewer energy conservation activities
Level 2 = five or more energy conservation activities
Levels 3, 4 and 5 – renewable energy: Indicate proportion (%) of energy from each source:
40% public utility
Other energy sources? Please list:
How were these proportions developed?
We use as little of public utility as possible but hydro still has it’s limitations in terms of reliability and output. We are happy to achieve 50%
Level 3 = renewable energy is employed and is less than 1/3 of all energy
Level 4 = renewable energy constitutes 1/3 – 2/3 of all energy
Level 5 = renewable energy constitutes 2/3 or more of all energy. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record energy consumption; (2) test and apply additional energy conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific energy targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Energy Level 5 (required).
Your Energy Level (select 1 – 5) = 4
Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage Water
Levels 1 and 2 – conservation: Check all that apply:
YES low flow faucets and showerheads
YES low water use toilets
YES change linens, towels, tablecloths, and napkins upon request
___use table mats that can be wiped and not laundered
YES use biodegradable laundry detergent, dish soap and hand soap
YES treat swimming pool with chlorine-free processes
Other water conservation activities? Please list.
Level 1 = three or fewer water conservation activities
Level 2 = four or more water conservation activities
Levels 3, 4 and 5 – capture and treat fresh water and manage waste water. Capture water: Indicate proportion (%) of water from each source:
10% reuse gray
___ public utility
Other water sources? Please list.
Fresh water treatment: how is captured fresh water treated?
Being in a high rainfall area, have an abundance of clean fresh water from spring and river. No treatment is neccessary. We are high up in the mountains with no development above us.
Waste water management:
YES septic tanks
YES other? List methods: Waste Water gardens: no harmful water is returned to the environment
Level 3: Water is captured (from springs, rivers, rain or prior use) and constitutes less than 1/3 of water from all sources. Water is treated chemically. Water disposal does not minimize damage to coral reefs and rain forests
Level 4: Captured water constitutes 1/3 to 2/3 of all water. Water is treated naturally. Water disposal minimizes damage to coral reefs and rain forests
Level 5: Captured water constitutes more than 2/3 of all water. Water is treated naturally. Water disposal minimizes damage to coral reefs and rain forests. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record water consumption; (2) test and apply additional water conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific water targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Water Level 5 (required).
Your Water Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage Recycling and waste
Check all that apply:
YES use durable service items, e.g. cups, glasses, dishes, tableware, storage items
YES buy fresh and local to reduce packaging and emissions from transportation
YES purchase in bulk to reduce packaging
YES recycle paper, glass, plastic, aluminum (Through Eco Bali Recycling)
YES minimize emissions from fossil-fuel powered vehicles, machines & equipment
YES zero waste in the kitchen
YES serve local water, not bottled water
YES cleaning products are biodegradable
YES compost organic matter
Other methods to recycle waste? Please list.
Level 1 = four or fewer recycling activities
Level 2 = five recycling activities
Level 3 = six recycling activities
Level 4 = seven recycling activities
Level 5 = eight or more recycling activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record recycling and waste; (2) test and apply additional recycling and waste conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific recycling and waste targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Recycling and Waste Level 5 (required).
Your Recycling and Waste Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage Land and nature conservation
Check all that apply:
YES minimize tree removal when building
YES use only botanical (plant-based) herbicides & pesticides in garden & grounds
YES maintain organic gardens as food source for resort
YES use biodegradable cleaning products
YES minimize external illumination
YES take additional specific actions to preserve the local habitat.
YES Landscaping with native plants
Please list actions and projects:
- Bamboo planted to stabilise slopes
- All gardens planted from local cuttings or seeds
- Large productive organic garden supplies resort, local markets and city restaurant
- When satellite internet dish was obscured by tree growth, satellite dish was relocated at great expense instead of removing trees.
Level 1: one or two land and nature conservation activities
Level 2: three land and nature conservation activities
Level 3: four land and nature conservation activities
Level 4: five land and nature conservation activities
Level 5: six or more land and nature conservation activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record land and nature conservation activities; (2) test and apply additional land and nature conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific land and nature conservation targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Land and Nature Conservation Level 5 (required).
Your Land and Nature Conservation Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Bali Ecovillage Community
This category addresses policies and activities regarding staff, guests, suppliers and other members of the community.
Check all activities that apply:
YES hire staff residing near the resort 100% local nationals
YES use local suppliers 80% goods produced locally
YES re-invest resort income locally 100% income re-invested locally
YES pay above local prevailing wage
___ pay into local social security
___ provide health insurance or coverage
YES use regular staff meetings to educate staff about sustainable processes throughout the resort, in the garden, with waste disposal, etc
YES provide educational awareness programs for staff, guests, suppliers and other members of the local community
YES provide sustainable transport to work for staff
YES take additional specific actions to support the local community. Please list actions and projects.
- English Classes for staff.
- Rubbish collection & Recycling Education in village and local schools
- Assist in responsible clean up after local ceremonies
- Provide on site accommodation for staff
- Allow staff to bring young children to work and promote breastfeeding during work hours (babies brought in by grandparents)
___ Have enrolled your staff in any personal green training/certification schemes such as ecohelpline.com green leaf certification.
Level 1: one or two community activities
Level 2: three to five community activities
Level 3: six to seven community activities
Level 4: eight to nine community activities
Level 5: ten or more community activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record community activities; (2) test and apply additional methods to support the community; and (3) work towards specific community targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Community Level 5 (required).
Your Community Level (select 1 – 5): 5
YOUR OVERALL ECO SCORE (add your level for each category and divide by 5and enter the result with the decimal point, e.g. 3.6): 4.8
We have three final questions which are not part of the eco rating:
- Please describe your single most important eco achievement: Creating a unique bamboo structure to generate public interest in Eco Tourism.
- Indicate additional sustainable practices that you plan to institute within the next 6 months. Expand use of hydro power by storing daylight power in batteries for use at night for internal lighting.
- Is there anything else you would like to add to this eco rating? I am a long stay guest at Bali Ecovillage. I wanted to complete this rating and sponsor (pay for) the Bali Ecovillage listing on your site out of my gratitude for being allowed to stay here while I recovered from an illness. Clean water, clean air, clean food and clean energy along with loving and caring Balinese staff is just what I needed. Yours sincerely… Miss Ronnie