When we travel to other countries there are many things we can do to both improve our trip/vacation and help promote ecotourism. Our planet just can’t take anymore rampant development. All you have to do is look at a news site to read about Climate Change, huge piles of trash in the middle of the ocean, and more in that vain. Since it doesn’t hurt us to follow Eco Guidelines there is no reason not to. Most of them are common sense types of things and can be easily done.
By becoming Eco-tourists our experiences are much richer because we get closer to the community by following basic Eco Guidelines.
Our goal as Eco-tourists should be to leave only footprints in the sand. We need to make sure we minimize our impact on the area we are visiting. With that in mind, here are a few ideas based on Eco Guidelines.
- Learn as much as possible about an area before visiting.
- Inform yourself of the customs of the area so that you can be respectful by following them.
- Stay on designated trails while hiking to minimize damage to fragile ecosystems.
- When hiking, pack out your own trash. Maybe even pack out trash that you see.
- Leave wild animals in peace by keeping your distance. They are not used to the presence of humans and we are stressful to them. A good way to do this is to use binoculars so that you don’t get too close and to stay on designated paths.
- Shop from locally owned businesses to insure maximum benefit from your tourist dollars to the local economy.
- A large hotel takes more resources than a smaller hotel.
- If you have any other suggestions, please Contact Us. We are always looking for ways to improve.
We are always looking for ways to improve so please do email us.