Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas
|Name of property||Sumber Sari Eco Villas|
|Person completing this form||Roger Barclay-Edwards|
|Address of property||Sumber Sari village|
|Phone number including country code and area code||(+62) 82 897 006 079|
|Web site||Sumber Sari Eco Villas|
|Type of property||Eco villa|
|Number of rooms or cottages||1|
|Maximum number of guests||2|
|Eco ratings, certifications, awards||Eco Rating at Eco Tropical Resorts: 4.5 out of 5 from online Eco Rating|
- Do you have a written environmental or social sustainability policy? YES/
If yes, please attach.
- Do you have a written environmental management system? YES/
If yes, please attach.
- Describe the property – aim, size, facilities, amount of land owned and leased (150 words max)
The first 100% solar villa is already completed, 72sqm of modern & sustainable living space powered by the sun, with 6 more villas, restaurant, spa and yoga bale. Planned within 1 year.
The land area is with protected coastal dune then the beach.
- Describe the location, including distance to nearest town and size of town (100 words max)
SSEV is located in the village of Sumber Sari, Jembrana Province, West Bali.
The nearest large town for shopping is 40 minutes from the villa, you can find the SSEV location on google maps or our website.
- Describe WHY you made the decision to develop an eco resort (100 word max)
The owners of Sumber Sari Eco Villas, have 2 other properties in Bali, after years of seeing tourisum escalate in Bali and the negative impacts
Introduction to the Butterfly Club’s Eco Rating
The Butterfly Club Eco Rating has five equally-weighted categories:
- Recycling and waste;
- Land and nature conservation; and
Each category has five levels, designated by one to five butterflies. Through self assessment, resort operators completing this rating will determine their own levels within each category based on their responses to items listed below.
Two categories – energy and water – have similar rating systems with Levels 1 and 2 addressing conservation of existing resources, and Levels 3, 4 and 5 addressing creation of renewable energy or capturing water.
Level five in every category also requires written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record consumption; (2) test and apply additional conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific targets. We require a copy of your policies if you achieve level 5 in any category.
Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas Energy
Levels 1 and 2 – conservation: Check all that apply:
Yes we have all A/C is powered by the sun only use natural air circulation and fans, not air conditioners
Yes use natural light during the day
Yes minimize use of fossil-fuel powered vehicles, machines and equipment
Yes use “on demand” or solar heating for hot water
Yes air dry clothes/linens
Yes wash dishes by hand
Yes use energy efficient appliances and electronics
Yes all LED use low wattage fluorescent or LED light bulbs
Yes change linens, tablecloths, napkins upon request
Yes switch off lights when not used
Other energy conservation activities? Please list:
The villa is 100% run on solar power, including pool pumps & A/C
Level 1 = four or fewer energy conservation activities
Level 2 = five or more energy conservation activities
Levels 3, 4 and 5 – renewable energy: Indicate proportion (%) of energy from each source:
___ public utility
Other energy sources? Please list:
How were these proportions developed?
Level 3 = renewable energy is employed and is less than 1/3 of all energy
Level 4 = renewable energy constitutes 1/3 – 2/3 of all energy
Level 5 = renewable energy constitutes 2/3 or more of all energy. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record energy consumption; (2) test and apply additional energy conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific energy targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Energy Level 5 (required).
Your Energy Level (select 1 – 5) = 5
Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas Water
Levels 1 and 2 – conservation: Check all that apply:
Yes low flow faucets and showerheads
Yes low water use toilets
Yes change linens, towels, tablecloths, and napkins upon request
Yes use table mats that can be wiped and not laundered
Yes use biodegradable laundry detergent, dish soap and hand soap
No treat swimming pool with chlorine-free processes
Other water conservation activities? Please list. The villa has a waste water garden for recycling nutrients back to the garden
Level 1 = three or fewer water conservation activities
Level 2 = four or more water conservation activities
Levels 3, 4 and 5 – capture and treat fresh water and manage waste water. Capture water: Indicate proportion (%) of water from each source:
___ reuse gray
___ public utility
Other water sources? Please list.
Fresh water treatment: how is captured fresh water treated?
No treatment naturally. Indicate method: charcoal, ultraviolet light, other? List:
___ chemically. List chemicals used:
Waste water management:
___ septic tanks
recycled nutrient gardens other? List methods:
Level 3: Water is captured (from springs, rivers, rain or prior use) and constitutes less than 1/3 of water from all sources. Water is treated chemically. Water disposal does not minimize damage to coral reefs and rain forests
Level 4: Captured water constitutes 1/3 to 2/3 of all water. Water is treated naturally. Water disposal minimizes damage to coral reefs and rain forests
Level 5: Captured water constitutes more than 2/3 of all water. Water is treated naturally. Water disposal minimizes damage to coral reefs and rain forests. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record water consumption; (2) test and apply additional water conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific water targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Water Level 5 (required).
Your Water Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas Recycling and waste
Check all that apply:
Yes use durable service items, e.g. cups, glasses, dishes, tableware, storage items
Yes buy fresh and local to reduce packaging and emissions from transportation
Yes purchase in bulk to reduce packaging
Yes recycle paper, glass, plastic, aluminum
Yes minimize emissions from fossil-fuel powered vehicles, machines & equipment
yes zero waste in the kitchen
Yes serve local water, not bottled water
Yes cleaning products are biodegradable
Yes compost organic matter
Other methods to recycle waste? Please list.
Level 1 = four or fewer recycling activities
Level 2 = five recycling activities
Level 3 = six recycling activities
Level 4 = seven recycling activities
Level 5 = eight or more recycling activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record recycling and waste; (2) test and apply additional recycling and waste conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific recycling and waste targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Recycling and Waste Level 5 (required).
Your Recycling and Waste Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas Land and nature conservation
Check all that apply:
Yes minimize tree removal when building
Yes use only botanical (plant-based) herbicides & pesticides in garden & grounds
Yes use biodegradable cleaning products
Yes minimize external illumination
Yes take additional specific actions to preserve the local habitat.
Yes Landscaping with native plants
Please list actions We have started a coral regeneration program in the adjacent beach,
Beach coastal dune plantings,. National park eco trekking to monitor the area
Level 1: one or two land and nature conservation activities
Level 2: three land and nature conservation activities
Level 3: four land and nature conservation activities
Level 4: five land and nature conservation activities
Level 5: six or more land and nature conservation activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record land and nature conservation activities; (2) test and apply additional land and nature conservation methods; and (3) work towards specific land and nature conservation targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Land and Nature Conservation Level 5 (required).
- SSEV’s has just initiated a free, monthly, community rubbish collection service (Note: for non-recylable & non-organic wastes only, which are being taken to the landfill)
- Working with leaders of the community, SSEV’s has socialized and initiated a reef regeneration, and the first artificial reef structures are in the water. Three local men from the Coastal sub-committee, who have also started working as snorkeling guides, are now being funded by SSEV’s (and the van’t Hoffs) to work on the reef regeneration program. SSEV’s is also donating materials for the artificial reefs,
- Fish re-population program. A ‘no-fishing’ zone has been marked with buoys, with a fish aggregating pontoon, and the use of the property’s boat
- Beach coastal dune plantings
- National park Eco trekking to monitor the area from illegal Logging
- Beach rubbish pick up program
Your Land and Nature Conservation Level (select 1 – 5): 5
Eco Rating Sumber Sari Eco Villas Community
This category addresses policies and activities regarding staff, guests, suppliers and other members of the community.
Check all activities that apply:
Yes hire staff residing near the resort 100% local nationals
Yes use local suppliers 100% purchased gods produced locally
Yes re-invest resort income locally 80 % income re-invested locally
Yes pay above local prevailing wage
Yes pay into local social security
Yes provide health insurance or coverage
Yes use regular staff meetings to educate staff about sustainable processes throughout the resort, in the garden, with waste disposal, etc
Yes provide educational awareness programs for staff, guests, suppliers and other members of the local community
N/A provide sustainable transport to work for staff
Yes take additional specific actions to support the local community. Please list actions and projects.
N/A training onsite Have enrolled your staff in any personal green training/certification schemes such as ecohelpline.com green leaf certification.
Level 1: one or two community activities
Level 2: three to five community activities
Level 3: six to seven community activities
Level 4: eight to nine community activities
Level 5: ten or more community activities. In addition, there are written sustainability policies or environmental management systems to: (1) monitor and record community activities; (2) test and apply additional methods to support the community; and (3) work towards specific community targets.
Attach a copy of your policies if you achieve Community Level 5 (required).
How about this?
SSEV’s Social Programs
- Before starting works, the developers attended leader’s meetings at the Hindu and Muslim villages, explained that the project concept includes social & environmental sustainability, made commitments that the employ locals only, and from both communities
- As a sign of good faith, SSEV’s gave an upfront cash donation of $2.500 to the two communities
- SSEV’s now sponsors the local football team, providing uniforms, boots, ball and equipment, plus a lawn mower for the field
- To deal with the new tourism, and to facilitate official cooperation with government and ngo’s, the local community has formed a Tourism Committee, with four sub-committees in the four following areas… forests, farms, coastal and cultural. SSEV’s has been very active in this process, and our aim in supporting the creation of a Tourism Committee is socially, environmentally & economically sustainable development for Sumber Sari
- Donations to the children’s Orchestra
- We invite our guests to bring gifts for the local children’s school
Your Community Level (select 1 – 5): 5
YOUR OVERALL ECO SCORE (add your level for each category and divide by 5 and enter the result with the decimal point, e.g. 3.6): 5
We have three final questions which are not part of the eco rating:
- Please describe your single most important eco achievement:
- Building the first 100% Solar powered luxury villa in Bali
- Indicate additional sustainable practices that you plan to institute within the next 6 months.
More community projects for children
Health programs for Women
- Is there anything else you would like to add to this eco rating?
As I mentioned before with only 1 villa fully operational and we are new to the area, we have many plans to instigate to benefit the local community; it will take some time for these to develop.